Friday 31 March 2017

Sunshine and Flowers Galore!

In this post, I already told you that last Saturday afternoon, O.K. and I had the first proper ice creams of this season, and went to the palace grounds for a very quick look around before heading back home to complete the preparations for my party in the evening. I promised to show you many more pictures than the last one in that post with the beautiful tulips.

Here they are - all taken by O.K. (and I have his kind permission to show them here).




This is a monument to one of King Friedrich's favourite dogs. It may never win a beauty contest, but I am sure it was a very good dog for it to have been the King's favourite. Whenever we visit the palace grounds, we have to say hello to the dog, and he always has some flowers, pebbles or a stick to play with, probably placed there by someone who is as fond of him as we are.



Leda and the swan. This is a story from Greek mythology, I think. Look her up on wikipedia, if you like.


 A last postcard-like view of the palace before we leave the grounds and walk home:


Back home now in my kitchen, getting things ready for the party:

10 comments:

  1. Just look at those pretty tulips! I love bright red tulips. And the grass is so vividly green and perfect! It must be a big job to keep it so.

    Leda seems to be struggling with that swan. Is he biting her ear? Haha! :)

    You look pretty and happy in that photo. Love agrees with you! ❤

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Jennifer!
      About Leda - well, the swan was actually a god in diguise, and he definitely did not want breadcrumbs from Leda, but something more... erm... substantial!

      Delete
  2. What a lovely calm place! and the picture of you is very contented. Your blog always makes me feel good to read.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was relatively calm because it was Saturday. If you go to the palace grounds on a sunny Sunday, you can hardly see the ground for people! (I am exaggerating, of course, but it really is a tourist magnet.)
      Thank you for saying something so nice about my blog!

      Delete
  3. You know I love the flowers! The grounds look so lovely, I would never tire of walking there! And next time you see the dog, leave a small pebble for me!
    That last photo of you...I love that one! You are smiling at OK as he takes it, and I can see that you are happy and that makes me happy! :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We never tire of walking there, either, Kay, even though I have been a regularly visitor since I was born!
      OK, next time I'm there, I'll leave the dog a pebble for you :-)
      Thank you! Yes, I am indeed happy.

      Delete
  4. What an abundance of flowers already. I can certainly understand that that park must be a popular place to visit on a sunny day... :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Of course they are preparing it all to be ready just in time for the opening every spring - if they'd let the flowers just grow at their own will, they would not be as abundant as they are. But it is beautiful indeed, and I am glad we have that within easy walking distance.

      Delete
  5. That's a pretty spectacular palace. But the tulips - wow, they are really vibrant and abundant. What a nice photo of you at the end, you look very happy and relaxed. xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Gillian, I am! (Most of the time, anyway.)
      Aren't those tulips great?

      Delete