Monday 27 June 2016

Gengenbach

After the hike in the Black Forest (see previous post) on Sunday a week ago, we drove the short distance from the parking lot at the bottom of the woods to Gengenbach, a town of about 11.000, famous for its picturesque old town centre. And picturesque it was - see for yourself:






We stopped for coffee and some cake here (picture below). Actually, the café is just where the bit of red umbrella is visible. I did not want to take a photo of all the people sitting at the tables, but the building is similar to the one with the blue awning.


I particularly liked this tiny house, tucked between the town hall and a row of other houses:


Market Square:

Town Hall:

The fish in the city's crest is what actually gives Gengenbach its name. Bach means beck or creek, and the "Gangfisch" (Coregonus macrophthalmus), a member of the salmon family, must have once been common enough in the region to give the small river and the monastery founded at its banks the name.



O.K. told me that the windows of the town hall are lit up and used as a big Advent calendar every December. I really want to see that! You can read a bit more about Gengenbach (in English) here on wikipedia, if you like.





We left the small alleyways with their well preserved and restored timber-framed houses and climbed up between vineyards and orchards to the chapel on the hill:



The sun was well and truly out now, and it was nice to rest on a bench in the sun on top of the hill, enjoying the view across Gengenbach on one side and the Kinzigtal (Kinzig valley, Kinzig being the river you can see in the second picture below):






It was nearly the end of this beautiful Sunday and I did not like to think of having to take the train back home in a few hours. But I did, and for a change, everything went well with both my trains being bang on time. I arrived home at a quarter past 11 pm - and slept like a log that night, hardly surprising after having spent the whole day out in the fresh air, walking up and down hills and in the woods. The best kind of tired, I think!

20 comments:

  1. It sounds like a fabulous weekend and what a picturesque little town. It looks truly beautiful. I do love unspoilt places like these. :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was fabulous, Karen :-)
      And last weekend was very nice, too, although we did not have the opportunity for another hike like the one Sunday before last.
      The old town is rather touristy, therefore I am not sure aobut how unspoilt it really is, but I really liked it, and O.K. pointed out several restaurants where I hope to dine out with him some time :-)

      Delete
  2. What a beautiful little town, I don't think I'd ever heard of it before.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The inhabitants are proud of their town, and take good care of it - that always shows, doesn't it!

      Delete
  3. This was a special treat for me as I know Gengenbach well. We lived within cycling distance and I had a friend who lived there. I have been to many beautiful places in the world but few are as beautiful as the Black Forest.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am glad this was special for you! It was my first visit there (as far as I know - I might have visited with my parents when I was little, but can not remember) but it certainly wasn't my last one.

      Delete
  4. I could happily loose myself in a place like that for ages just wandering, taking in the ambience and drinking coffee (and, if I wasn't driving, the occasional glass of wine).

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Same here, Graham. If it had not been for cars and people being everywhere, I would have taken even more pictures than the ones you see in this post.

      Delete
  5. What an absolutely charming old town. Thanks for showing us around! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It really is charming, Monica, and I do want to see it in December, with the Town Hall turned into an Advent calendar.

      Delete
  6. though name sounds strange but what a place dear ,really worth visiting and picturesque

    sitting after viewing such lovely sights really refreshes the soul glad you enjoyed your sunday so much and yes it is hard to go back from such wonderful journey god bless you daer

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you, Baili!
      Yes, Gengenbach is well worth a visit, nice to see people taking pride in their town.

      Delete
  7. The very best of tired indeed! I love this photos they look like something from a fairy tale. Love that the town hall building is used for an Advent calendar, what a very good idea. That OK seems like such a nice guy!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He is, Kay, he is :-)
      You're right, some of the houses could be the homes of fairy tale characters!

      Delete
  8. Looks absolutely idyllic. I like the idea of a full-size advent calendar - brilliant!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm sure I'll love it - provided I'll get to see it in December :-)

      Delete
  9. I think I may have been in Gegenbach. Certainly the name is very familiar. It looks charming and being there when you are in love must be heavenly!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Quite romantic, yes, Kristi :-)
      I wouldn't be surprised if you'd been to Gengenbach at some stage. It is, after all, something of a jewel and very popular with tourists, so it would come up in guidebooks and such.

      Delete
  10. As I have said before, you could work for the tourist board. You make Germany so very appealing, so beautiful to all your readers.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Maybe I should get in touch with them and have them supplement my income :-)
      Honestly, I love visiting places and then write about them - that way, each such visit stays in my mind longer and better!

      Delete