Sunday 23 December 2012

Hours of Fun!

That's precisely what was had by all who were there at my place on Friday night.

About the regular evenings with my friends I have written before; several years ago, we have started to have the December meeting at one of our houses instead of going to a restaurant, and make it an evening with games. The most important game of that particular evening is the swapping of trash gifts. Yes, you read that right: trash gifts.
Think of the numerous things everyone has at their home: the especially ugly vase given to you by Aunt Hilda for your wedding; the well-meant but never needed hot water bottle (your fifth one already); the vintage item you discovered at the jumble sale and thought you really had to have at the time; the decorative object that is so totally NOT your style but somehow never found its way into the bin... you get the idea, don't you? (I am sure Frances could come up with a list of scented candles, bath salts, diaries and lots more!)

Everyone chooses one of those things (it has to be clean and intact, no real rubbish) and wraps it up nicely as a Christmas present to bring along to the December meeting.
Once we're all settled and have had something to eat and drink, the fun begins:
Each of us places their own parcel in front of them on the table. A timer is set (10 minutes is plenty), and dice are thrown. The numbers rolled don't matter; with each rolling, the parcels are moved one place further on around the table, clockwise. When someone rolls a double, the rotation changes to anti-clockwise. When a double of six is rolled, the person whose turn it was gets to choose who to exchange their current parcel with. Of course nobody wants to end up with their own parcel, and you won't believe how hysterical we all get as the 10 minutes are drawing to a close, with everyone trying to move the parcels as quickly as possible!

Then the parcels are opened, and usually, much mirth ensues. Often, the "gifts" really ARE so ugly and/or useless the recipient is not going to keep it. But every time we play this, there is at least one of us who is really happy about what they find in their parcel. (I have just realised that I have already described the game here and here - the gift I ended up with in 2011 went to one of my Mum's friends, who truly loves it!)

Everything you need for Toast Hawaii.

The untoasted bread is buttered (or marged), the ham goes on it, then a slice of pineapple, and the hole is filled with ketchup.

One slice of cheese on top of each toast, and they go into the oven.

I never set a timer for these but simply take them out as soon as the cheese is melting, after an estimated 10 minutes.

The same food as last year - Toast Hawaii - was on the menue this time. There were only five of us, but as you can see, that did not diminuish the fun :-) 

Only five sets to prepare this year, and no Pukky to hang around the kitchen while I was making the toast :-(
The parcels waiting for us while we eat.
A vintage set for coffee and sugar! I really love it, this is no "trash" for me!
Two tiny snowglobes. Not sure yet what I'll do with them.
A game of Memory was played afterwards.
And now, I am looking forward to spending today mostly at home, and tomorrow night at my parents' for Christmas Eve.

14 comments:

  1. This sounds like a truly wonderful evening, and the fact that it is becoming a tradition makes it only more wonderful! I, too, like that coffee set. (I remember when that style was the newest thing!) You seem to be describing a version of what we call "Yankee Swap" with the gifts, but I think you must call it something else in Ludwigsburg. Schwabisch Swap perhaps?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. We call it Schrottwichteln, Kristi! Schrott is trash, rubbish; wichteln is a particular form of gift-giving where either the giver does not know who is going to receive his gift, or the recipient does not know who the giver was.

      Delete
  2. What a lovely party! We call that game white elephant swap here in the Midwest, USA. The coffee set is very pretty. I am curious about your memory game. What types of photos are on the cards? Here I am only familiar with these types of games for children with cartoon characters or alphabet or children type items. A set for all ages would be a very nice find. Sounds like a very fun evening.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It was lovely indeed, Softie! I think this is the first time I see you here, so: welcome to my blog :-)
      The memory was of cartoon jokes by a quite popular German cartoonist. The twist was that you did not have to look for the same picture, but for the two halves that would make one complete joke. Needless to say I came last!

      Delete
    2. That sounds like an intriguing game. Certainly a challenge. If I was there you would not have been last I would have taken that spot for sure. ;) I am sorry that I did not mention that I came across your blog in November and I read back through the archives and found your blog quite enjoyable. I have been following ever since. I have never commented before but will try do so again. Thank you for answering my question. Merry Christmas!

      Delete
    3. Merry Christmas to you, too! Thank you for following my blog, and I am glad you like what you have found on here so far :-)

      Delete
  3. I love the unwanted present game. What a brilliant idea! Have a great Christmas, Meike.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You too, Frances! It is so much fun; and like I said, every time some of us end up with something they really like. So maybe you could play that game with your friends to get rid of all your unwanted presents ;-)

      Delete
  4. Around here, we call that White Elephant gifting. It is fun, and often someone's idea of trash is another's treasure.
    Merry Christmas, Meike!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exactly, Norma! I'm all for Making Do with what people have instead of constantly buying new stuff, therefore, that is just my kind of game.
      Merry Christmas to you, too!

      Delete
  5. Yes I remember the parcel game but not the Toast Hawaii which is odd because I rather like the look of it. I shall try it sometime.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It's so nice and simple, ideal when you have people coming over who do not expect a 5-course-dinner; not much mess in the kitchen, so that you can really enjoy the time with your guests.

      Delete
  6. I read this post a couple of days ago on my phone but returning now to comment... We used to do a similar parcel game at my old workplace the day before Christmas Eve, not with 'trash' gifts but very cheap ones. And one person could end up with lots of parcels while another got nothing. (But in the end those who got more than one always shared with those who got nothing anyway.) Your way of doing it seems like a very good idea.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Our way of doing it assures that everyone gets a present and nobody is left out :-) One of my friends ended up with an unwanted gift that she left at my place that night; my Mum said that her friend oould use one of those, and so I wrapped it up nicely again and brought it over on Christmas Eve - she likes it indeed!

      Delete