Thursday 24 May 2012

Day Three: Three Times Ripley

Why three times? Well, there is Ripley, the village. There is Ripley Castle, and Ripley gardens. That makes three, doesn't it?

It was where we chose to go with Aunt J and Uncle B on the 2nd of May, wich was the 3rd day of our holiday in England (I obviously feel like playing with numbers a bit today).

So many times I'd been past Ripley on the bus that goes from Ripon to Harrogate and back, but never actually been there, so it was about time to explore the place.
Had it been warmer, we would have walked there, but since it was cold enough for us to be wearing padded winter coats and woolly socks (yes, mine were the hand-knitted pair of birthday socks shown here), we went in J and B's car.

Ripley itself is a small village, with most of what you can see today having been built in 1825 to look like a village the then owner of the place had seen on his travels in France (Alsace). I have been to this region of France myself many times, but I don't find Ripley looking particularly French - it is very picturesque, and especially the village store makes it look like a typical English village, don't you think?

But on to the castle now.

Most remarkable about Ripley Castle is that it has been owned and inhabited (and still is) by the same family for over 700 years! Can you imagine your folks having stayed in the same place for such a long time, and your feet still treading the same ground as so many of your direct ancestors have done? Let me borrow this quote from the website:
Our history is one of political, military, religious and social turbulence, of plague and persecution, of renaissance, enlightenment and industrial revolution. It is a tale of romance, courage, loyalty and recklessness. There is no final chapter because we are still here, still enjoying the adventure.

This quite nicely sums it up, and the castle is certainly worth visiting. We took the tour (no pictures allowed to be taken inside), and then had a walk around the extensive grounds before we explored the gardens.
There was so much to see, and I took so many pictures - I really had to stop myself from putting them all on here, but you can look at them in my photobucket album; simply click here and then keep clicking "next" for a while :-)

Let me end this post with a picture Aunt J took and which we all love - it looks like something you'd find on an artsy postcard or calendar, doesn't it?
We had been sneaking about in the greenhouse and ended up in a spot where I think we were not supposed to be, and J came across this row of tea mugs, belonging to the gardeners, who were all out in the gardens doing their work.

There'll be another Stately Home to visit tomorrow, but for today, I think I have given you more than enough to look at!

11 comments:

  1. Hello Meike:
    Yes, Ripley does look to be typically English village to us, and what a delightful time you had there. The castle and its grounds look exceedingly well cared for and so much to explore. Such a pity that the weather was so cold and inhospitable, it certainly seems to have held back the plants.

    And, the fourth Ripley.......the Talented Mr. Ripley!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hello Jane and Lance,
      that was, what I thought first, reading Meikes headline, too.
      I do love the novels from Mrs. Highsmith! And I liked the film with Alain Delon.

      Delete
    2. Alain Delon was gorgeous! The remake was quite well-done, too, I thought.

      Jane and Lance, the plants had certainly been quite hesitant about coming out, but the gardens still were beautiful, and I especially liked the kitchen gardens, loving the idea of being relatively self-sufficient.

      Delete
  2. You should be here this week, it's hot, far too hot for this cool weather lover who melts when the temperature goes above
    24 C.

    I got the socks in the post today! But I can't work out your address. I'll email.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Glad they arrived, Friko, that was quick! Sorry about my address... my handwriting is notoriously illegible, I'm afraid. But as long as the postie was able to read your address correctly... :-)

      31C here yesterday. Very much my kind of temperature!

      Delete
  3. Wonderful pictures.....I love to read about your travels, to other countries or just really long walks from you own home...Yesterday I was on a short trip myself to Lake Chautauqua in western NY with my daughter, to open our cottage for this summer of 2012. That means turning on the water systems and putting the screen up on the front porch. My job was mostly playing with my grandson!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That sounds like a nice trip! Are we going to see your summer cottage on your blog?
      Thank you; I am glad you like reading about my travels and walks. It does hardly matter where I am, there is always a lot to look at and - later - write about, it seems :-)

      Delete
  4. Grand place. I do get irritated when places refuse to allow photographs inside. Flash is not needed with modern cameras and it seems an unnecessary restriction. I think the mug shot is very much like a postcard shot.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It is, Graham, isn't it!
      Well, I do understand their reasons for not wanting photos; it must be a nuisance if you are trying to guide a group through the place and they are all clicking away like mad. Plus of course they want to sell their own brochures and books about the place, with good pictures inside. Can't blame them for wanting to make some money out of that.

      Delete